SPS Limited  - Tape Drives & Library Backup Solutions - Secure Document Storage - Secure Media Storage - based in Stirling, Scotland UK
About SPS Limited
SPS Limited Mid Range Library Backup Solutions
SPS Limited Tape Drive and Library Repair Services
Tapes Direct Online Store
Secure Archive Document Storage Services
Email SPS Limited
 

 

 

 

News

90% of your Data needs Tape
Tape continues to play an integral role within the storage environment as improvement in capabilities and reliability helps maintain its place as a viable means of storage. Despite recent battles over whether tape or disk is the right solution for all storage needs, data managers are increasingly realizing that a "one-size-fits-all" solution no longer holds true – data that needs to be accessed on a regular basis should be managed differently than that for archiving, long-term storage or disaster recovery.

Consider this: a UC Santa Cruz study found that 90 percent of data stored to NAS was never accessed again, underscoring the need to use a cost-effective means to store data and reduce energy costs.

What does this mean?
Disk can be an appropriate medium for quickly accessing that 10% of data that needs to be readily available, and tape can be the effective solution for the remaining 90% of the data.
Moreover, a blend of disk and tape – where near-term data is stored on disk, then backed up on a regular basis to tape, can deliver a more cost-effective solution to reduce power expenditures and physical space while protecting data offline from intentional or unintentional corruption.

60% of your Storage Managers re-introduce Tape

We’ve all seen the headlines proclaiming the passing of tape, but most storage managers know that “these rumors have been greatly exaggerated,” to take a line from Mark Twain.
A recent survey found that more than 60 percent of storage managers with disk-only backup environments planned to add tape back into their storage solution.


75% of Storage Managers impliment D2T Solution
Changing requirements for storage has resulted in the cohesive operations of disk and tape – and the same survey found that nearly two-thirds of storage managers implement a combined tape/disk solution (Disk to Tape – D2T).

They know tape is an ideal tool for long-term storage and will help reduce Total Cost of Ownership (TCO).
They also realize the value in tape for offline data protection in a remote location to protect against viruses and disasters.